Sunday, March 4, 2012

Loners







Sometimes with all my artist reviewing , reevaluating, and reworking work I occasionally commit the sin of overkill. It can happen to a painting if I should paint some out as well to my drawings. In this case I overdid it with a set of large portraits that I had transformed into collages, that I really liked. At one point I tried to camouflage a few smudges that lead to some touching up with paint. As one thing lead to another, before too long the drawings which had just the right amount of spontaneity and texture disappeared. What emerged were entirely new pieces, basically paintings on paper. I literally grieved at what they had become. In an effort to try to reclaim what had been lost I attempted to recreate new versions of them. The results were quite compelling, but nothing like what I had envisioned. Also the original drawings were portraits I made 30 years as I looked into a mirror. I drew a young man. Now, much to my distress and bemusement, what I saw and drew was an old man. Although physically the portraits do not like me, the essence is still present.

No comments:

Post a Comment