Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Water Spots









Water colors are tricky and with students the frustration fuse can be short. They can easily test both the experienced and inexperienced. I am by no means an expert in the field but am competent enough do some simple exercises using water color. Typically we do a number of exercises that involve blending and bleeding colors and no matter how much I reassure the students that we are not creating works of art but technical experiments and that they should not give up and persevere, I will still find work in the garbage at the end of the class session. My mantra is that no matter how discouraging or hopeless the situation may appear, there is still room for transformation. These ‘Water Spot’ Portrait collages are cases in point. They were all created from discarded water color exercises that I retrieved from the trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment