Monday, October 25, 2010

Bipolars






As a teaching artist I have done any number of programs where I demonstrated, among other things, how to draw portraits and how to use water color. In numerous cases I actually enjoyed some of the samples that I created and preferred to keep and file them away as opposed to disposing of them.

As I was sorting through some of my file drawers I found a few of these samples. They were purely academic and not terribly interesting. Still, I felt as though there was some sort of untapped potential in them. It occurred to me that with a little tweeking the pieces could take on entirely new forms.

In certain cases I had used oil pastels because of the wonderfully resistant effect that occurrs when water color is applied over it. This is the technical part that I enjoyed. But aesthetically there were other issues that I could explore as well.

In this day and age I am very fond working with collage assemblages. As I looked at the pieces I wondered how I could apply this approach to the water colors. I noticed that quite by coincidence all of the portraits were almost the same size and proportion. If I could cut them apart and then reassemble them as I done on so many other occasions, the results might be quite interesting.

I love how identities can be blurred and relationships reinvented, and all in a state of resolved dissonance.

No comments:

Post a Comment