Saturday, February 12, 2011

Corners





Usually I do not frame my paintings, not because I prefer them unframed but because of other constraints. Frames add a significant amount of weight and dimension to the paintings. Both elements I am in short supply of in my rather ‘compact’ studio space. Still, I was curious as to how adding a frame might transform my otherwise unadorned paintings. So I scavenged around my ‘used lumber yard’ (my garage) where, for better or worse, I save (OK, I admit it--hoard) old and used wood scraps. (You just never know when a particular piece of wood might come in handy.

So I chose my smallest paintings and decided that they might be good candidates to experiment with. Aware that my technical skills in this department were rather thin I decided that I would plan for a more rustic look to the frames. In the end I ended up framing about a dozen pieces with mixed but generally good results.

When I finished and was gathering up the corner bits and pieces from all the 45 degree miter cuts that had to make for the frames I became intrigued by how they could be fit together into these interesting shapes. Ordinarily I would have (reluctantly) disposed of the pieces but as I played with them I began form them into squares. Why squares? Who knows? That’s just how they seemed to fit. Obviously I could have gone in any direction but the squares worked for me. I used old and in some cases well worn pieces of wood so the execution on my part was a bit crude. Still, I enjoyed how each piece brought out a rustic variety of colors and textures.

For now I keep them stacked in a box. Maybe one day if I find an empty wall, I'll hang them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment