Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Egg Heads






I am aware of some expression from somewhere referring to some idea that suggests that we are the sum of many parts. The Egg Head Series is a fair representation of this idea. While creating other collages I had accumulated bits and pieces of paper and remnants of drawings (in pencil and in ink) that I could just not dispose of. “You never know when they might come handy.” And the Egg Heads are the direct beneficiaries of these bits and pieces.

First I cut the paper into square like shapes and then randomly glued them together. From there with watered down acrylic paint I dabbed a few suggestions of the facial features and then applied a bit of ink for extra details. Each face was created with the same intention and from the same perspective—straight on.

What always enjoy is creating images using layers of disparate pieces with the resultant textures that become almost invisible except to the touch. This is the case with all my collages, and why they always demand another look.

No comments:

Post a Comment