Sunday, August 30, 2009

Bride and Groom 4


Bride and Groom 4
Originally uploaded by jonathanfranklin65

A couple years ago I had somehow gotten it into my head that I should print up some giclee (art) prints. I figured that people would be willing to spend $25, $30, or $40 for an art print of a painting rather than several hundred or even a thousand... dollars for an original. That was the idea. In theory it sounded good. I had done some research and thought I was making a sound decision. The long and the short are that I ended up spending a huge bundle of money. Needless to say, the results were anything but satisfactory. I was so angry, frustrated, and disappointed by the way they looked and the whole process that I couldn't bear to even look at them. Everytime I'd see the box of prints in my studio it would stand as thick reminder of yet another on of my misbegotten artmaking failures...until yesterday.
As someone who is committed to recycling, regenerating, and reinventing things it suddenly occurred to that there might be life in those dead prints of mine after all.
Armed with a pair of scissors I decided to make some major alterations. I decided to cut the prints into strips and then weave and reassemble them back together again. In short the were.... well, you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment